You are hereLister-D-1945

Lister-D-1945


By Craig - Posted on 12 June 2011

2.0 hp - 1000 rpm - serial no. 193968 - spec. 26D2H


1132 1133 May 2011. My friend Roger had obtained a block for a 2hp Lister D, which is a bit more unusual. He had managed to obtain the other parts he needed through contacts and off ebay. The plan was to assemble the engine at the Lords Farm rally.

There was little in the way of compression. So to begin with we stripped the block down, I then cleaned up the mating surfaces using emery paper. After that I started grinding the valves in by hand, making use of the screwdriver slot manufactured into the valves, thank you Lister. As I had no power tools with me I created a tool to speed up the process using a screwdriver, socket and brace. The inlet valve ground in easily with a nice polished ring on the valve seat and valve, however the exhaust valve seat was heavily pitted. I spent a considerable time grinding, checking, and regrinding, before re-asemmbling the block. The engine had some compression intially before disappearing completely again. It was dissapointing, I decided that it would be better if I took the engine home with me where I access to my workshop and tools.

The next day I ordered a new head gasket, then I spent a couple of hours cleaning the block up externally and internally. There was a heavy deposit of sludge in the sump of the engine. After the cleaning I used the free end of my Lister D cart to make the engine easier to work on. After reassembling the block I was then able to clean the mating surfaces properly using a power tool and re-grind the valves in using a battery drill. After the engine was re-assembled there was very little compression. It was thought it may have new valves fitted. In my garage I have my first Lister D which I have used for spares. When the two sets of valve where compared, the valves on the 2 hp lister larger and the valves from my spare Lister fitted better. I fitted these valves to the 2 hp engine.

1135 1147 There was still some leakage on the valves, but at this point i decided to assemble the rest of the engine. I wasn't expecting much but the engine fired the first time I wound it over and to my astonishment it fired up, and quickly started to overspeed. I had to manually move the governor rod to get the right speed. With some adjustments of the govenor spring, and the govenor rods, i managed to get it running at a good speed.